Wild Kids Mom Blog: Homeschooling - The LAW in South Africa

Homeschooling in South Africa 101: The LAW

Blog 10

You are required to register your child/ren with the DoE (Department of Education) for home education (free). Here is some useful information regarding the process. If you do not wish to register with the DOE, I suggest registering with the Pestalozzi Trust (annual subscription, very affordable, helpful and covers your family legally).

Apply electronically, using the applicable application form, to the head of your Provincial Education Department and attach the following documents with you:

  • Parent/s certified ID copy In case of foreign nationals, certified copies of passport /study permit/work permit/Asylum document is required
  • Last copy of school report (if the child was in school before, but if the child is only starting school now, you must attach an immunisation card)
  • Weekly timetable which includes contact time per day breakdown of terms per year (196 days per year)
  • Learning programme
  • Certified copy of child’s birth certificate

(It may take up to 30 days for your applications to be processed but be prepared to wait much longer). If you do not hear back from the DoE after a month, your application is deemed successful.

After your child has been registered for Home Education you must keep the following:-

  • Record of attendance
  • Portfolio of the child’s work
  • Up- to- date records of the child’s progress
  • Portfolio of the educational support given to the child
  • Evidence of the continuous assessment of the child’s work
  • Evidence of the assessment and/or examination at the end of each year
  • Evidence at the end of grade 3, 6 and 9, that shows whether your child has achieved the outcomes for these grades (available on the DoE website)

If you require any help with registration, please feel free to pop me an email. I will gladly help where possible. 




Pestalozzi Trust Email:

Blog HS